Friday, February 4, 2011

Chinese New Year 2011

Chinese New Year is the best thing ever! It’s still going on, but I’m totally wiped out. It’s like everyone in the country is going to a party at the same time – and there are a lot of people in this country. We don’t know anyone here, but we’ve already been invited to meals and parties. I hope the Chinese are this friendly all year.

Speaking of food, I better watch out. I’m going to gain a ton of weight if I keep eating all this great Chinese food. Everywhere you turn there is something amazing. I don’t know if it’s because of the New Year or if it’s always like this, but this is food paradise. I know there is special food for the New Year, but I don’t know what’s what. It’s all new to me. Chinese food in Hong Kong is nothing like Chinese food at home. The flavors and textures are completely different and there are all kinds of dishes here that nobody would ever eat at home. Some of it is a little disgusting, but I’m trying to keep an open mind since I’m the visitor here. We probably have something at home they find disgusting, but I can’t think of anything. Maybe hot dogs. I have never seen any hot dogs here.

Today was a huge fireworks show in the harbor – or harbour. Everything has the British spelling. That just makes it seem more foreign. I’m glad there are signs in English since I can’t read a word of Chinese, but the British English just reminds me that I’m in a foreign country instead of just in some Chinatown somewhere.

We saw a dragon show that was incredible. I don’t know what any of it means and what all the symbolism is about, but those guys are real athletes. The things they did – jumping on boxes, dancing around – all under this huge dragon costume. I’m sure it takes years to master.

As if all that wasn’t enough, the legal drinking age in Hong Kong is 18. I can go into any bar – or pub since it’s British here – and legally order any kind of drink I want.

Alcohol, exotic food and the biggest party of the year. I am so going to pay for this later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.