Sunday, March 6, 2011

Oscar 2011

The 83rd annual Academy Awards were on February 27th, but I just saw the ceremony today. One of the Hong Kong channels showed it live, but I guess we don’t have that channel. I already heard about who won everything, but I watched it anyway. It’s fun to see everyone all dressed up in their Sunday best.

I thought The Social Network was good, but I think The King’s Speech was the right choice for best picture. Colin Firth was also the right choice for best actor. James Franco was pretty good in 127 Hours – the best performance of his I’ve ever seen – but there was no way Colin Firth was going to lose. The same with Natalie Portman in Black Swan. Nobody else stood a chance.

I didn’t see all the movies nominated for best supporting actor/actress, but I was disappointed that Geoffrey Rush didn’t win for The King’s Speech. I really like Helena Bonham Carter – she plays some great characters – and Amy Adams. I don’t even know who Melissa Leo is.

I haven’t watched every Oscar show, but I’ve seen a lot of them. This was easily the worst one ever. James Franco was good in 127 Hours, but a terrible Oscar host. I don’t know if he was on any medications, but it sure seemed like it. Anne Hathaway was there, but James Franco really held her down. I’m sure it’s a tough gig. I doubt I could do it, but once you accept the job, you better come prepared. Millions of people around the world and everyone in your industry is watching. Maybe lay off the happy pipe until it’s over.


No comments:

Post a Comment

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.