Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Introducing Lily

I haven’t really talked much about Lily. She’s my best friend here in Hong Kong – other than Ryan, of course. We started out as rivals since we’re both performers, but since she has lighter hair and I have darker hair, we’re not really up for the same parts as much. The fact that she is drop dead gorgeous while I am relatively attractive might have something to do with it. Now that I’m Belle and she’s Tinker Bell, there’s no competition at all. My next goal is Snow White and hers is Cinderella. The funniest part is that all of the face characters have to wear wigs anyway since it would take too long to do the hair right and there would never be any uniformity, so our natural color is irrelevant.

Everything at Disney is divided by appearance far more than talent or training. If you’re too tall, you can’t get some parts no matter how talented you are. Ryan could easily play face characters, but they won’t let him since he’s a giant in Hong Kong. Ironically, millions of Chinese people are too short to play most of the characters. I think the height restrictions were created in California or Florida for people from California or Florida. Now that Disney is in China, Japan and France, they might want to rethink things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.