Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011




Thanksgiving isn’t very popular in Hong Kong. I haven’t seen any restaurants with special Thanksgiving menus. I really wouldn’t consider fried rice and noodle soup a Thanksgiving dinner anyway. I’ve seen a few places with special menus, but nothing I consider Thanksgiving.

One place had roast duck and pumpkin soup. Another place had ham and baked potato soup. A lot of places had various chicken dishes – chicken is very popular in Hong Kong – but that’s not Thanksgiving to me.

What I really miss is pumpkin pie. There’s no pie to speak of here, let alone pumpkin pie. There are tiny desserts that they call pies, but nothing like a real pie. They also tend to make the crust without butter, which is not how you make pie crust. The Chinese have done some great things with food over the years, but they just don’t appreciate dessert.



No comments:

Post a Comment

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.