Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Christmas Gifts

I got Ryan a new cellphone for Christmas. He’s always complaining about his old phone. It never gets any reception in the MTR or too far away from downtown, it’s too thick to keep in his pocket and it can’t take pictures. His new phone is super thin, seems to work anywhere, so far, and has a tiny camera.

He got me a box of American artisan cheeses from Byerly’s. That might not sound like the most romantic gift, but I’m from Minnesota. I love cheese. A big block of cheese and a chunk of bread, maybe a glass of wine, and I’m a happy camper. Right now I live in Hong Kong – not the best place in the world for cheese – or bread. CitySuper has some cheese, but their selection is pretty limited.

Ryan knows that I’ve been feeling homesick this Christmas, especially since I always thought we’d go home for a week or two. He couldn’t take me home, so he brought a little slice of home to me. More like several large blocks of home. I have enough cheese to last for months.

I’m looking at Beecher flagship & Marco Polo, Bellavitano gold & raspberry, gran queso & bambina fontina, sartori asiago, crema casa and Humboldt fog. If any store in Hong Kong sold just one of these I’d be the most loyal customer they’ve ever had.

2 comments:

  1. I have seen Humboldt Fog at City Super. You can email or phone them to confirm if they have it or will order it for you. I call them whenever they run out of salsa verde and they are always good at finding some for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? I should check out some of their other stores. I've passed the one at IFC a million times, but never gone inside.

    ReplyDelete

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.