Thursday, October 18, 2012

Nude Beach Day II part 4

Nude Beach Day II Part 1
Nude Beach Day II Part 2
Nude Beach Day II Part 3


I don’t know much about lesbians and even less about discrimination and equality laws in Hong Kong. I know that discrimination against people who aren’t Chinese is legal, or at least widely accepted. I know that it was illegal to be a gay man in Hong Kong until just recently, but being lesbian was never illegal. Gay marriage is still illegal, and if you’re gay in Hong Kong, you probably don’t tell many people. I know a few guys who are probably gay, but they’ve never felt the need to confirm or deny anything, at least to me. I’ve never heard about any violence against the gay community. People in Hong Kong aren’t the violent type. Being gay is mostly frowned upon.

It probably takes a lot of balls to join a gay organization and march in parades. The lesbians at the beach were taking a big risk. Not only were they announcing that they were gay, but they were doing it at a nude beach, which is almost definitely illegal in Hong Kong. There was a mix of Chinese and white people. I assume most of them were foreigners. There was even a black girl. It must be exceptionally hard to be a black lesbian in Hong Kong. The average Chinese person points at me and stares because I don’t look or act Chinese. If you’re a black lesbian, you make me seem like a local.

Once we realized that we were in the middle of a lesbian field trip, I started to get offended by the girl who was hitting on Lily. How did she know we weren’t a couple? We were obviously there together and if she assumed we were lesbians, why not assume we were a couple? And why hit on just Lily and not me? Would Lily make a better lesbian life partner? Probably. But that girl had no way of knowing that.

Once we realized where we were, it was more obvious that a lot of the casual conversations we were having was flirting and girls hitting on us. We didn’t see it at first because it never crossed our minds. When a guy I don’t know comes up to me and starts small talk, I generally assume he’s hitting on me. It’s not ego. It’s just the law of averages. When a girl does it, I assume she’s just making small talk. I’ve always known I could be wrong about the guys. There might be one or two misfits out there who don’t want me. But now it turns out I was wrong about the girls.

One hairy girl came up to us and stood with one of her feet on a basket the way a guy would, trying to give us a clear view of her crotch, just the way a guy would. When I say she was hairy, I don’t just mean her big afro bush. It looked like a razor had never touched her skin. She looked down at us and said, “Yeah, smooth. Just the way I like it.” I didn’t say anything, but I thought if she likes it smooth, why not shell out a couple bucks and get a Gillette. I guess she was the butch in the bunch.

Butch In the Bunch. Coming this fall on Fox.

Another girl only talked to Lily and wouldn’t even look at me. I did not exist as far as she was concerned. More girls hit on Lily. She has lighter hair and bigger tits. That makes all the difference in the world to men, and apparently it matters to women as well. Lily is prettier than I am, by pretty much anyone’s definition, so I can understand why she was more popular. It didn’t matter anyway. None of them were going to get any slap and tickle from either of us.

Only one Asian girl hit on us. She seemed to like me more than Lily. Maybe Asians like darker hair. I don’t know.

Most of the girls on the beach didn’t hit on us at all. I think some of them could tell we were not lesbians. I’m sure some just weren’t interested. You could tell that some of them were couples, so they weren’t there to score.

Even though we were not part of their group, we had some interesting conversations and we both walked away with a few phone numbers, but not from the girls just looking to get laid. We mostly talked to those who looked us in the eye instead of somewhere lower. We made a few new friends by the time we left.

I’m glad we went to the beach that day. I wasn’t expecting so many people there, but they turned out to be pretty friendly and I was never as uncomfortable as I would’ve been if there had been a gaggle of men, or worse, one or two men. By the end of the day, I was relatively comfortable being naked around a group of girls. It was a good day to be naked. The sun was shining, it didn’t rain and the water was officially clean.

I think I’d be willing to go back again some time. I’d have to check some kind of event calendar. I don’t want to go when it’s a truck driver’s field trip day.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's incredible. Who knew that there was such a progressive scene in HK? Very inspiring.

    I know one male gay couple -- an American guy and a local Hong Konger -- and unfortunately the Hong Konger keeps it a secret and he says that he lives with his 'roommate.'

    This lesbian group, at a nude beach no less! Very interesting. Shows a lot of hope for Hong Kong.

    Funny about how not noticing when girls hit on you. Sounds good though, to feel safe and comfortable. All in all a great blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Hong Kong still has a long way to go. I know if I were gay I wouldn't exactly announce it from the rooftops around here. But it's definitely better than the Mainland.

    ReplyDelete

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.