Thursday, November 29, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012

I never mentioned Thanksgiving. It was on my birthday this year, so I sort of did. It falls on my birthday every once in a while. I was born on Thanksgiving. I don’t think my mother ever forgave me for that.

This year’s Thanksgiving I was by myself. Ryan is in Fuzhou, Lily and Kevin are in Canada, all of my friends that are actually in Hong Kong had to work or do other things. Last year we went to a fancy restaurant for a special Thanksgiving meal. It really didn’t feel like Thanksgiving to me. Peking duck and noodle soup are not Thanksgiving to me. The worst part about Hong Kong is that there’s no pumpkin pie anywhere. But at least we did something together.

I know you’re supposed to develop your own traditions for the holidays when you live in a foreign country, but I haven’t come up with anything yet. I can’t make my own meal and invite everyone over since my kitchen is the same size as the desk I’m typing this on, and my apartment can only comfortably fit one or two people. I haven’t found a good Thanksgiving restaurant yet, but I’m working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.