Friday, December 6, 2013

Nelson Mandela

I just heard about Nelson Mandela's death. He was 95 years old, so I don't think anyone was surprised that he died. He was in and out of hospitals for a long time and I'm sure his family is happy that his suffering is finally over. The rest of us can only look back at what he did in awe.

South Africa before Nelson Mandela was about as divided as you could get. When Americans talk about politics, we like to say we are a deeply divided country these days, but it's nothing compared to the way South Africa used to be. Even the American South during segregation was fairer to black people than South Africa during apartheid. Black Americans were seen as less than equals. Black South Africans were seen as less than human. I can't even imagine what it would be like to be told I'm not a citizen of the country I was born in just because of my race.

Now all of the world leaders are making speeches and putting out statements about how great Nelson Mandela was. None of these people are fit to change his socks. Why is it so hard to elect people like him now? Was he such a rare person that we can't have people like him today? Or have we settled to the point where we will elect whoever our TVs tell us to elect?

3 comments:

  1. .... oh my GOODNESS. I had no idea Nelson Mandela passed away yesterday, ironically yesterday was my birthday O_O That's so tragic. Thank you for posting this. It's upsetting to think that this man, who did so much, was so one of a kind and - as you said - many other world leaders aren't like him. RIP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you kindly. yeah... =/ many people I know (or know OF) seem to die on or around my birthday =( a bit disconcerting

      Delete
  2. President Assad of Syria, who is currently fighting a revolt against his rule, said Nelson Mandela's life was an inspiration to freedom fighters and a lesson to tyrants.

    funny huh?.. think all dubious despots like to be associated with good, but seldom are themselves

    ReplyDelete

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.