Sunday, August 2, 2015

Trippingly on the Tongue

I have been studying my script. It is not verbatim Shakespeare, but it stays relatively faithful to the original. The language is updated, which is probably a good idea since the audience is mostly Chinese. I have to assume that most people will have at least a working knowledge of common English, but I doubt everyone in the Chinese audience would be familiar with 16th century English.

The good news is that it is not completely modern. There is no, “Yo, what up, dawg?” It is simply easier to understand.

An example from Act I, Scene 2:

What you say is true. Since the little
wit that fools have was silenced, the foolishness
that wise men have makes a great show.


Rather than the original:

By my troth, thou sayest true; for since the little
wit that fools have was silenced, the little foolery
that wise men have makes a great show.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.