Sunday, July 30, 2017

Hailey's Novel Diary – 7/30/17

Sunset Boulevard, the street and the movie, plays an important role in chapter 18. I wrote a scene that takes place while two of the characters are watching the movie. They start to pay less attention to the movie and concentrate more on what they are doing with each other, but I describe what is happening in the movie while the characters are doing whatever they are doing.

After I wrote the scene, it occurred to me that I have not actually watched Sunset Boulevard in a long time. The tiny bits of the movie I described might not happen when I think they do. That could be embarrassing.

There was a time when I could have gone down to Blockbuster and rented Sunset Boulevard. That is not going to work today. Fortunately, we have Youtube. Unfortunately, Youtube users generally don't care about violating copyright laws.

I found the entire movie just sitting out there without any of the people who worked on it earning any money. That worked out for me since I could watch it and make sure I knew what I was talking about. If Billy Wilder were still alive, maybe I would send him a quarter to make up for the royalties he lost when I watched his movie for free.

In the end, my memory was pretty good. The two scenes that I referenced were in the right order, but they were a lot shorter than I remembered. I also completely forgot that Buster Keaton was in it. His scene is short, but I need to find a way to work him into my story. I already have an idea for Charlie Chaplin. It makes sense to put in a little Buster Keaton.




No comments:

Post a Comment

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.