Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Hailey's Novel Diary – 7/4/17

Chapter 13 is finished. It is easily the worst chapter, in terms of pain and suffering. Friendships are torn apart, careers are destroyed, principles are sacrificed. Good stuff.

One of the great things about fiction is that you can turn a character's life upside down without hurting anyone. It's only a fictional character. In non-fiction, there is nothing fun about writing man's inhumanity to man. Sometimes it's harder for the writer than the reader.

Fiction is the opposite. Hopefully, it's harder for the reader. But for the writer, it can be interesting to create a character from scratch, build them up with hope and aspirations for the future and then destroy their life, causing them to question everything they believe.

There are no spoilers here. This is only chapter 13. It's not over yet.

I have also introduced a new character. She is only a minor character who needs to come in, introduce some conflict and then go away. I'm thinking about making it sound like she is going to be an important character, but I have yet to decide if I want to toy with readers like that.

The benefit to making her seem like a more important character is that another new character will come in later who is more important. If I bring this one in and take her out quickly, most people will assume I'm going to do the same thing with the next character. On the other hand, if I misdirect readers, they will assume I'm doing it again with the next character. Either way, I think people will make that assumption. So there is no real reason to play around. Most people will take little notice of the next character, which is what I want.

Maybe I'm overanalyzing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.