Monday, August 7, 2017

Hailey's Novel Diary – 8/7/17

The last chapter takes place over a much longer period of time than most of the other chapters. I knew that a lot of things were going to happen, and the last thing I wanted was to have an enormous final chapter. If it's slightly longer than other chapters, I can live with that. If it's five times longer than any of the others, that would bother me.

So I changed the pace. In other chapters, scenes move from one to the next without any big announcements. In this chapter, time flies. The words “two weeks passed” or “a month later” are nowhere to be found, but it should be clear that time has marched on.

Accelerating the pace of the narrative actually made me type faster. I don't know if having a longer, drawn out chapter makes me type slower, but the faster the action moves, the faster I type. Psychologically, I'm sure it's the other way around.

The only downside to cramming so much into a single chapter is that it is currently the shortest chapter of the entire book. In an effort to keep it from being the longest, I went in the opposite direction. I don't mind if it stays the shortest. There is nothing wrong with that. But I might have condensed too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.