Thursday, November 30, 2017

The Great Wall of China
26. Going Home

Beijing to Hong Kong is only a four hour flight, but after eight days in an uncomfortable hospital bed, I was not looking forward to cramming into a tiny economy seat. Air China was nice enough to upgrade us to business class.

Amy and I flew into Beijing on Hong Kong Airlines, but we never made the return flight. Hong Kong Airlines had no interest in returning our money for the missed flight or even giving us a reduced rate, so Lily booked a flight with Air China. Not only did they give her last minute tickets at a deep discount, but they provided the best customer service I have ever seen from an airline in China. The wheelchair and obvious head wound probably helped. Bumping us to business class was icing on the cake.

Kevin suggested getting another wheelchair at Hong Kong Airport. Arriving in Hong Kong is quick and easy when you have a Hong Kong ID, but the airport is pretty big and the arrival gate could be far from passport control. A flight attendant reminded us that the airport has little electric golf carts that people can ride for HK$50. Anyone who has been to Hong Kong Airport has seen these things racing around, but none of us had ever used them. Terminal 1 is the third largest airport terminal in the world, right behind Beijing Capitol. Walking from one end to the other can take a while, but the golf carts can do it in a few minutes.

The first thing I did when we got home was take a nap. Our flight landed at 22:00, so I knew my nap was going to last all night, especially when I lay down on the most comfortable bed in the history of the world. I was still supposed to sleep with my head elevated, but that is why Gustave Pillot de Chambre invented the pillow. That was the best unsedated night's sleep I had in over a week.


The Great Wall of China part 1

4 comments:

  1. Do they let you drive the golf carts at the airport or does someone drive you? That would be wild if you could drive around in the airport. Can't the stewardess tell you what get you land at before you land? Can't they just park the plane closer if there's a sick person onboard?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The airport staff drives the golf carts.

    Flight attendants usually don't know what gate the plane will park at until after it lands, if they ever know. Each airline has their designated area, but it changes all the time. I really don't think the pilots have any say in the matter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, read all that in one go and Happy to know that you are doing well now. Just remembering the scooter riders eyes while in the process of having an accident did gave me goose bumps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like to dwell on it, but I assume I'll remember the scooter driver's face for the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.