Thursday, December 14, 2017

Hailey's Novel Diary – 12/14/17

I made a few minor changes to chapters 6 and 7. I'm a little worried that I'm not changing all that much from the last draft. I have changed some dialogue, so that's something, but you are supposed to rewrite a lot from each draft. That is what all the self-appointed experts say, at least.

And it makes sense. The first draft is never going to be as good as the final draft. That is just common sense. If your first draft is good enough to be a final draft, then you are a literary savant. It is far more likely that you only think it's good enough. Ask any publisher how many delusional writers are out there. I'm no publisher or editor, but people have given me a few books to read that were obviously first drafts. If I could tell right away, you know the professionals with years of experience can tell. I suppose that helps them decide which submissions to dump in the trash.

Since I'm barely changing anything, I can only assume that I'm missing something. Maybe I need to take a step back and think it over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.