Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Lantern Festival 2018

Chinese New Year started on February 16. There were parades through Tsim Sha Tsui and lion dances at just about every shopping center. I never planned on going to see the fireworks over Victoria Harbour, but they were canceled this year as a show of respect for a bus accident on February 10th in Tai Po. One of the deadliest car accidents in Hong Kong's history, it killed 19 people and injured 65. Most of the time I feel like a foreigner here, but I was a proud Hongkonger when the lines at the Red Cross went around the block and they had to stay open late because so many people wanted to donate blood.

I have mostly avoided the New Year crowds this year. China is a loud place at any given time, but downright intolerable during the New Year. Between the music blasted at full volume, the officials screaming into loudspeakers at full volume, the salesmen screaming for everyone to buy their wares at full volume, and the people screaming into their phones at full volume, I have to wonder if the Chinese are so loud in public because they are going deaf or if they are going deaf because they are so loud in public. It would be a nice time to live in Hong Kong with ear plugs.

But I do go outdoors from time to time. At this time of year, New Year decorations are unavoidable. Some of them are amazing. It's all about bright colors. March 2nd is the Lantern Festival. In addition to bright lights, bright lions, bright dragons and bright dogs, there are bright red and gold lanterns everywhere. Some bring wealth for the new year. Some bring good health. They all bring good luck. Every fortune teller, fortune stick and fortune card says nothing but good things will happen to you in the coming year. No one ever seems to have bad luck. At least not until after the year starts. None of the lucky signs ever warned me that last year would suck.

I might go out and brave the crowds on Friday. I like the lanterns. It is the noise I'm dreading. But, if nothing else, I have to find out how rich and healthy I will be this year.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and
    you are just too wonderful. I really like what you've acquired here, really like what
    you're saying and the way in which you say it.

    You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it sensible.
    I can't wait to read far more from you. This is really a wonderful
    website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. If you don't mind my asking, what is your native language? That might sound like an insult, but it's not. I live in a place where most people don't speak English and I like to guess where they're from - if they're not Chinese.

    ReplyDelete

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.