Wednesday, February 2, 2011

First Day in Hong Kong

I’m in Hong Kong! I almost can’t believe it, but I’m finally here.

We’re staying in a hotel right now until we move into our temporary housing – provided by Disney. The internet in the hotel is really expensive, but I’m told there are plenty of cheap internet cafés all over the place. I just have to find one nearby.

My first impression of Hong Kong is hot & humid like a son of a mother. Coming from Minneapolis where it’s -0° right now, Hong Kong feels like a sweat box – and it’s still winter. What’s summer going to feel like?

My second impression is that it’s crowded and everything moves fast. I’ve been to big cities before. I’ve been to New York plenty of times, and up until just now, New York was the largest city in the world. As it turns out, the world is a lot bigger than Americans wrap their heads around. But everything changes when the world is in a language you don’t understand. I know I’ll get the hang of it, but in the immediate present, it’s just a whirlwind of people & cars.

My third impression is that I’m totally lost and this was all a crazy idea, but I think that will pass once the dizziness stops. I hope so because, as much as I’m spinning in circles, I also think this is beyond exciting. I’ve only been here two days, but I already know this is going to be the best thing ever.

Tomorrow is Chinese New Year. There are decorations all over the place. There’s an excitement in the air. I can’t tell if that’s coming from the Chinese people or me. Maybe moving here during the Chinese New Year was not the calmest time, but it gives one hell of a first impression.

There’s just so much to talk about, but this is costing me a dollar a minute – I think. I still haven’t got the money worked out yet. I think US$1 = HK$10. I’m not too sure about that.

Anyway, hello Hong Kong.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to Hong Kong! There are many wonderful things here, like good food, shopping and many other things. However, if you think it is hot right now, wait till spring and summer, it's super humid and hot. With many people walking in a fast pace, I call it a "Spinning Steamer".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been told that summer is really hot. I'm looking forward to it. When I left MN it was 10 below zero. I'd rather be hot than cold.

    ReplyDelete

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.