Monday, October 23, 2017

The Great Wall of China
1. The Substitute

A friend of mine planned a weekend trip with her boyfriend to the Great Wall of China last month. She booked a hotel in Beijing, bought the plane tickets and was ready to go. Then her boyfriend dumped her. At that point, it was too late to cancel the hotel without paying, and plane tickets are always a pain to refund, even when it is possible. She was upset about ending the relationship, of course, but if she did not take the trip, all that money would be flushed away. I was recruited to take his place.

I can't provide the type of companionship a boyfriend can, but I think I'm a pretty good travel partner. I do not have any list of demands and never come home with a list of complaints. Generally speaking, I like to go with the flow. With new places especially, you never really know what you're going to get. There is no list of chocolates on that box.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.