Thursday, February 16, 2012

My New Spa

I’ve been looking for a good spa that I can go to on a regular basis ever since I went to a really great one for my birthday. Hong Kong is full of spas, ranging from 5 star luxury, like what I had on my birthday, to cheap dives where you catch some kind of skin rash. As a dancer, it would be nice to get regular leg massages and soaks in a hot tub. I don’t need all the pampering. I can live without all the mud wraps, waterfall showers, facials and manicures. I’m just looking for a good leg massage that doesn’t cost a fortune.

A Chinese friend told me about a place in Cheung Sha Wan. The outside looks like a million other dirty buildings, but the inside is clean and professional. It’s not elaborately decorated like the luxury spa. Everything is more functional than decorative. The important thing is that a half hour leg massage costs about the same as a minute in the luxury spa.

The first time I went there I got a masseuse who didn’t speak any English. Most of the Chinese I know is about numbers and ordering food. I just don’t know any massage Chinese. It was hard to communicate with her what I wanted. My needs are pretty simple, but under the circumstances I probably came across as some finicky foreigner.

My Chinese friend suggested I ask for Amy. So when I went back I asked for Amy. Luckily, she was working that day. I had to wait a while since I didn’t bother to make an appointment, but she was definitely worth the wait. Amy speaks excellent English and she really knows how to knead out those muscles. She started with some deep tissue and then oiled up my legs & feet and did a great Swedish massage.

It turns out they don’t call it deep tissue or Swedish in Hong Kong. They have Chinese names, of course, but the English terms they use are regular and oil. So even if the masseuse at my first visit spoke some English, she might not have understood me anyway. Amy also told me that when you want a leg massage, you have to ask for a foot massage. Foot massages automatically include the legs.

This experience was both educational and relaxing.

I’m planning on going back at least three times a month. I’d like to go once a week, but I’m not made of money. The next time I go, I want to see what Amy can do with my shoulders.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.