Wednesday, November 14, 2012

My China Trip part 5

On the way back to Hong Kong the Fuzhou airport was empty – maybe because it was 7 o’clock in the morning. It was very different from Hong Kong Airport – there are people in every corner day & night. Fuzhou looked abandoned.

There were no other passengers when I went through security. The guards didn’t say a word to me. They just scanned my bag and waved me onward. There was no line to check in. I gave the clerk my passport & ticket, she did her thing and sent me on my way. She never said anything to me and I only said ni hao to her. There was another security check without any lines where they scanned my bag again, looked at my passport & boarding pass and pointed me in the right direction. Again no one said anything to me. It took maybe 10 minutes to get from the front door to the boarding gate – and most of that time was walking around to get to all the areas that didn’t have any lines.

You could never do that in Hong Kong. Even if they didn’t talk to you – which they do – it is always crowded. Fuzhou was deserted – except for all the people working there. They had a full staff, but I was the only passenger there – at least in the beginning. After a while more & more people showed up and by the time my flight left it was crowded. I guess I just got there too early.

Next time I’ll know I don’t need to be there 2 hours before the flight – even 1 hour is early. But I’m sure if I got there just before they started boarding it would have taken a lot longer to get through security & passport control.

Another bad thing about getting there early is that there’s nothing to do at the Fuzhou airport. When you get past the last security check you can sit & wait for your flight or get some terrible airport food. It’s funny how China has so much great food that costs practically nothing and Chinese airports have terrible Chinese food that’s very expensive. There’s always food anywhere in China. They even fed us on the plane – and it’s a 90 minute flight.

Hong Kong airport is a giant shopping mall. There’s a hotel, a few pay lounges & places to get a massage. You can shop, sleep, go online & eat. The food is more expensive because it’s an airport, but they have a wide variety. You can get American, Italian, Japanese and of course Chinese. There’s even a Disney store. I could get a discount there, but I’ve never actually bought anything because I can just get stuff at work.

I already miss Ryan, but I’m glad to be back in Hong Kong. China just seems so different. It’s kind of funny since they’re both in China, but Hong Kong is in a world of its own. I’ve still got a few months left on my Chinese visa, but I can only go back 1 more time. I want to go back next week, but I should probably spread it out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.