Friday, February 8, 2013

Chinese New Year 2013

Tomorrow is the start of Chinese New Year. It actually starts on Sunday, but tomorrow is New Year’s Eve, which a lot of people celebrate.

It’s a pretty big deal around here. It’s like Christmas, Thanksgiving and 4th of July all rolled into one.

Adults give each other gifts and give extra to the children, just like Christmas. The big difference being that most of the gifts are money and food. No one gets a toaster for Chinese New Year. Everyone travels all over the country to be with their families and there are a lot of dinners, just like Thanksgiving. Only instead of one day, it can last a full week. There are fireworks all over the place, just like 4th of July. There are fireworks every night in Hong Kong, but this is different. They really go all out during the Chinese New Year. There are special fireworks shows at Victoria Harbour, Disneyland and a bunch of other places.

It’s great to see everyone having fun, but the holiday doesn’t really mean anything to me. It’s not my culture. I can appreciate the celebration of spring and family and whatever else it’s supposed to be, but I’m never going to have their childhood memories of it just like they’ll never have my childhood memories of Thanksgiving and 4th of July.

The main difference for me during the Chinese New Year is that I work a lot more. I’m really going to need the extra money now that we’re taking another big trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.