Tuesday, February 19, 2013

More Auditions part 2

I went to the audition and everything was going great. Up until it didn’t.

They liked my song. I did “A Wonderful Guy” from South Pacific. Then they wanted me to do “Girl On Fire” by Alicia Keys. I don’t know if they were looking to see if I could do such a drastic change of pace, or if their song was more the type they want in the movie than my song. Maybe both.

They liked both songs. They liked my singing. And then they hit me with the bombshell. I was auditioning for the part of a singer in an orgy scene. All of the characters are going to be completely naked and having an orgy party, while the singer provides background entertainment. I don’t know why you would need a live band to play at your orgy, but that’s what this scene is all about. They told me it would be shot like a music video to show the audience that it’s a dream scene and not really happening.

I was visibly surprised when they told me, which I’m sure they expected. All in all, it’s probably a good thing that they’re telling everyone right away instead of waiting after callbacks and wasting everyone’s time. I don’t doubt that they’ll find enough actors to do the scene, but I’m sure more than a few will pass.

I was even more surprised when they told me the band, including the singer, are also supposed to be naked in the scene. I can’t imagine why the band has to be naked, but then again, I can’t imagine anyone would hire a band for an orgy. It’s not like they’re calling this movie Ears Wide Shut.

Maybe the scene will make sense in context. I don’t know. Maybe shooting it like a music video will be good for most of the actors, since music videos tend to have too many quick cuts and shaky camera work, but it’s not so great for me. I’d be uncomfortable in that scene even if I were fully clothed. Being part of the orgy is totally over the top. I know no one will actually have sex. It’s a movie. But the actors are still actually naked.

I also know that pretty much every actress you’ve ever heard of has done at least partial nudity. People sometimes say it’s exploitation, but I think Helen Mirren, Meryl Streep, Jodie Foster, Diane Keaton and Kathy Bates know what they’re doing. I know that if I’m going to have any kind of career on screen, I’m probably going to end up doing some kind of nudity sooner or later. Maybe someday I’ll be ready to do some tasteful nudity in a great work of art movie, but for now, I know I’m not willing to do some gratuitous orgy scene in a low budget Hong Kong movie.

Based on my reaction when they told me about it, I’m reasonably sure they won’t call. But if they do, I’ll say thanks but no thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.