Sunday, July 7, 2013

Online Publishing

Nudist Cruise has been out for a week and it already went to #22 in one of its categories. I can’t believe it.

I’m not one of those people who obsessively checks all the stats every day, but I do look in on them from time to time to see what’s going on.
Hailey’s Bali Diary
went up to #4 for about a minute, but that was after it had already been out for a while. A friend told me the new book will sell faster because there is nudity on the cover, but Amazon has lots of books with a lot more nudity. Some of the covers are more graphic than I thought they’d allow.

I’m not doing this to make money. If you want to make a lot of money, don’t write books. For every millionaire superstar author, there are millions of people you and I have never heard about. Just because J.K. Rowling hit the big time with her wizard story doesn't mean everyone else will. In fact, I guarantee that almost no one will have as much success.

I don’t mind the fact that I’ll never be an international bestseller. I’m not even a writer. This isn’t what I do. What I write isn’t everyone’s cup of tea – just like those vampire books aren’t for everybody either. I just think it would be better if the people who would want to read it had some way to know that it exists. Amazon would make a lot more money if they promoted more than just the top seller. It’s like movie theaters that only show the same 5 movies as all the other theaters and then complain that people don’t go out to see movies anymore. Hundreds of movies are made every year, but you’d never know it if you only looked at your local theater.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.