Sunday, January 12, 2014

Three Auditions part 3

My agent set up three auditions for me in November. The first one was for a TV series. I still have not heard back about that one. The other two are for movies.

I just did one of the two movie auditions I will be on this month. I think it went pretty well, but I'm up against a lot of other foreigners. Some of them looked like movie stars. Most of them did not. In Hong Kong, you never know if that is good or bad. Sometimes they want us to look however they think westerners look. That is based on whatever ideas are in their heads. One casting director once told me I did not look American enough. I don't even know what that means.

This audition was for an American who can't speak Chinese, but the movie is in Chinese, so the character speaks Chinese. They gave me lines written in Pinyin, which made it really easy to mispronounce the words. There are plenty of Chinese words that I can't read, but I know even less Pinyin. None of that was a problem since they did that on purpose. They did not give it to us in Chinese because they were worried that if any of us could read Chinese, we would say all the lines properly. With Pinyin, you are pretty much guaranteed to get mistakes. Even if you do know Pinyin, whoever typed up the lines probably does not, so it might not match whatever it is supposed to mean anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.