Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Philip Seymour Hoffman

Unbelievabow, as the Chinese say.

This was the most surprising celebrity death in a long time. Nelson Mandela was almost 100 years old and spent a year in the hospital. No one was surprised when he died. People were mostly relieved. Peter O’Toole was 81 and looked like he was dying for years. James Gandolfini was way too young, but he was also a heavy smoker and obviously didn’t take care of himself.

I didn’t even know Hoffman was a drug addict. I mostly don’t pay attention to their personal lives – especially the better actors. I don’t want to hear about what they do off the clock. I just want to see them perform. I first noticed Hoffman in his work with Paul Thomas Anderson.

I still can’t believe he’s gone. I can’t believe he was only 46 years old. He always seemed much older.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.