Wednesday, March 25, 2015

An American in Paris part 4

This Paris trip will definitely interfere with my micro trips to Fuzhou. Ryan does not mind. He recognizes that the Paris trip is a once in a lifetime opportunity. We almost went to Paris when we went to Rome, so he knows how much I want to go. Getting paid to go there is even better, as far as he is concerned.

Of course, this means we will not see each other for a month. Even longer when you include time before and after the trip. He can't exactly come out to visit me while I'm there, so we have to go back to talking on Skype and the phone instead of seeing each in person. We have done that before, so I'm sure we will survive. Ryan's biggest fear, he says, is that I will never want to come back. If I stay in Paris permanently, it would be a lot harder for us to see each other. I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen. I like the idea of living in Paris, but I don't like the idea of being homeless there and eating out of garbage cans. My job is in Hong Kong. I doubt anyone is going to offer me a permanent gig in Paris.

Lily is another story. She is not at all used to being away from Kevin. They have never lived in different cities, let alone different countries. It will be harder for her to stay celibate for a month than it will for me. Kevin worries that she will find some charming French guy who sweeps her off her feet. I think that is about as likely as Ryan's fear that I will stay in Paris. Lily and Kevin have been together for a very long time. It will take more than some stud with an accent to steal her away. But I suppose a temporary tryst is not out of the question. Maybe if her Paris stud has a friend, I will not have to tell Kevin about it.

That's also a joke, obviously. He would have to have a friend and give me a job in Paris to keep me quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.