Sunday, May 31, 2015

Paris Diary part 11

Day 13
21°, sunny.

I had the day off, so I wandered around Paris by myself. Sometimes that is the best way to see a city. You can just go wherever the day takes you without worrying about what anyone else wants to do. This happened to be a beautiful sunny day, so I got lucky there.

I went to Victor Hugo's house at Place des Vosges and the Holocaust Memorial. Victor Hugo's house looked like an expensive place to live and ultimately told me nothing about the man. I liked Rembrandt's house in Amsterdam better. The Holocaust Memorial was close enough to our apartment that we could have easily gone there every day, but it was the kind of place that is too depressing to go more than once.

I went to the Pompidou Center and checked out the Musée National d'Art Moderne and saw some Matisse, Magritte, Picasso, Chagall and Kandinsky, among others.

I spent a little time at Arènes de Lutèce, an ancient Roman amphitheater, and far more time at Jardin des Plantes, the botanical garden.

I made dinner for my roommates with our new groceries in our big kitchen. It was neither the best nor worst meal any of us had in Paris, but it was nice to eat in for a change. If you are in Paris for a week, you can eat out every night. If you are there for a month, you either make a few meals yourself or rob a bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.