Thursday, May 14, 2015

Paris Diary part 6

Day 7
16°, sunny.

After a long day at work, Lily & I watched the sunset over the city from our apartment's rooftop terrace.

Later, our roommate and I went to a dance club in the 9th arrondissement. Lily did not want to go, so she stayed in. I'm not a big fan of loud clubs, but I looked at it as a chance to get to know our roommate a little better. We would all be living together for a month, so I figured we might as well do some bonding. She mostly got drunk while several foreigners hit on us, and I took her home.


Day 8
18°, sunny.

Lily, our roommate and I took the train from Gare de Lyon to Antibes. It was a five hour train ride, which gets a little tedious after a few hours, but the scenery along the way was beautiful.

In Antibes, we worked and spent the night in a large estate owned by a Scottish expat. He spoke French, of course, but it was fun to practice my terrible Gaelic with him.

This huge house did not have a front yard and back yard. It had grounds. There was an English garden with landscape pools and fountains, as well as a modern swimming pool that overlooked the Mediterranean. The place was not a palace, but about as close as you can get.

Our dinner at the house was a big affair with more courses than anyone really needs and people in uniforms serving our food. If rich people eat like that all the time, it's no wonder that they are so out of touch with the real world.

After dinner, Lily & I spent some time in the hot tub, which is not the worst way to end the day. We had a nice international conversation with people from France, Spain, Canada, and the Scottish owner of the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.