Thursday, November 12, 2015

Dating in Hong Kong 4

Something I'm learning about the wide world of expat relationships is that there are entire books full of rules. You're supposed to do this, you're not supposed to do that. He should wait this amount of time to call, she should wait that amount of time to answer. Now there are even rules about Facebook and Twitter. The good news is that I don't do Facebook and I haven't logged into my Twitter account in at least a year. Search it all you want. There's nothing embarrassing there. Mostly because there's nothing there.

In addition to not knowing the rules or, more accurately, not wanting to know the rules, I also don't seem to know anything about modern communication systems. My phone was made in 2009. That wasn't really a long time ago, but in the world of cell phones, that was an eternity. My phone is not smart. It's not especially stupid. It can squeak by, but there's no way it's getting into a decent college.

Most people already know the rules, but everything is new to me. Back in high school, we didn't play so many games. That seems backward, but I'm convinced it's true. Everything seemed more genuine then. Now, everyone is trying to play some game or another. I don't like games, unless there's a board and dice involved. People always ask what women want. Here's the answer: honesty. It's the single most important quality as far as I'm concerned.

Pretending to be whoever you think the other person wants you to be, even just a little, is always a bad idea. Sooner or later, whoever you're lying to is going to find out. It might not be the end of the world, but I'll bet it will be worse than if you were simply yourself the entire time.

If your main goal in life is to have sex, there are ways to do that without being a liar. If you're lying to get some then you obviously don't care who you're doing, as long as you're doing it. There's no need to lie if that's the case. Someone somewhere will want to have sex with the real you. If you have to lie to get laid, that only says horrible things about who you are. If sex is just a conquest to you, you're doing it wrong. And I bet that's the reason you feel so empty.

Maybe there are more rules than I thought.

2 comments:

  1. Starting dating again after a long term relationship is really tough, let alone getting intimate with someone new. Hope everyone works out for you, Hong Kong is an amazing place, I'm sure you'll find someone special there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I'm not really all that worried about it. I kind of like the idea of being single for a while.

    ReplyDelete

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.