Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Halloween 2016

Halloween has always been a strange holiday, but you have not tricked or treated until you have partied with drunk Chinese people in zombie makeup who have no idea why everyone is dressed up. Just tell them it is the tradition and they will go along. I have met plenty of Chinese people who don't understand Chinese traditions, but follow them anyway. “That's just the way we do it” is good enough.

We have had a big Halloween party every year I have been in Hong Kong. More often than not, I have no idea what kind of costume I'm going to come up with until the last minute. They are usually not very good. Probably because I only come up with them at the last minute. Unfortunately, I'm usually not the worst. Fortunately, there is always someone who put some effort into it and does something interesting. This year, I don't have to worry about it.

I was originally supposed to go back to Tel Aviv at the beginning of November, but now I'm going at the end of October. That means I will not only miss the election, but also Halloween. I'm looking forward to the election as seen through Israeli media. I'm guessing Halloween is not going to be the same.

I have been told Halloween is not very popular in Israel. They have Purim in March, which is more giving to charity than begging the neighbors for candy, but they dress up in wild costumes and party, which is pretty much what Halloween is all about if you are not a child.

I will miss Halloween this year, so no zombies, vampires or pirates for me. But if Trump wins the election, it will still be a scary year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.