Thursday, July 6, 2017

Hailey's Novel Diary – 7/6/17

Two of the characters are old friends with a history long before the story starts, but I'm not sure if I made that clear when I introduced them. It's obvious that they know each other, but in chapter 14, they have a conversation that casual acquaintances would never have.

Looking back, I might not have made it obvious. I should either go back later and change that or leave it as it is. It's not really important to explain how they know each other when they are introduced. Most people will just assume that they must know each other well while reading chapter 14. Or it will read like something is missing. The next time I read it over, I will see what happens.

What I really don't want to do is spell everything out. Generally speaking, if it's obvious enough to me then it should be obvious enough for the story. But you can't follow that like a rule. Sometimes something is obvious to the author because they are thinking about it when they write it. That does not guarantee the reader will know. And that is reason #32 to always go back and read from start to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.