Thursday, January 11, 2018

Get Smart

For Christmas, my roommate gave me a new phone. That would not normally be something I would even mention, but I have actively resisted “smart” phones. Lily has been trying to convert me to the newfangled technology for years. I always insisted that my 2009 Nokia did everything I needed a phone to do. I have never had any particular loyalty to Nokia, but it was a good phone. I dropped it more than a few times without complaint and it never had any problems with sudden Hong Kong rain showers. If I needed to use a computer, I had one at home. My phone could always get a signal to send and receive phone calls. Back in my day, that was what phones were for.

A few months ago, I was in a bit of a car accident. My passenger and I came out of it in a few pieces. Everything we had with us was lost, including my trusty cell phone. There is no way to know if it survived. It could be lying in the weeds somewhere or broken into a million pieces. Maybe it even found a new home with someone who picked it up and thought it was a Star Trek communicator.

Whatever the fate of the old phone, I needed a new one. As it turns out, no one around here sells 20-year-old cell phones anymore. They have “retro” phones that look like old cell phones, but they have all the “smart” bells and whistles. I was open to not having any kind of phone at all. I used to live my life without being tethered 24/7. I'm sure I could do it again.

Lily went and got me a new phone anyway. It looks new, it feels new, and it does a million things that I will never use. The first thing I did with it was delete all the apps that wanted me to download/setup Facebook, WeChat, Twitter, Alibaba, Google+, Taobao, Instagram, Pinterest, Didi, Foursquare, WhatsApp, Linkedin and a million other things I will never use. It has Skype, which I used to use on my computer fairly frequently. But I thought these new phones were supposed to make Skype obsolete.

Now I can text like everyone else. My old phone could send text messages, but the numeric keyboard required redundant typing. “Good night” was 46666663066444444, and you had to wait for the letter to appear. If you typed too quickly, it would simply rotate through the options on that key; G, H, I, 4, G, H, I, 4. It could receive texts, but none of the smiley faces ever showed up.

Being able to hold text conversations does not impress me. I hate the way most people type like 5-year-olds when they text. I always read “ur” as “err”, and I really don't care wmam. Gaby Hoffmann's acronym crazy character in Sleepless in Seattle was supposed to be a joke, not a premonition.

The only thing I like about the new phone is the camera. I also lost my camera in the accident. It was a decent SLR, and I knew I would miss it more than the phone. The phone camera is not nearly as good, but it is convenient. I will probably use the maps the next time I go somewhere new, but I certainly don't need them here.



2009-2017
RIP

6 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. I did not switch over to using a smartphone until Fall of 2015. But, now that I am used to using it, I would not choose to go back to my Nokia candybar phone again. I think you will feel the same way as well. I mean, there must be something to it because there are more and more people on smartphones and I haven't heard of any smartphone user going back to using regular cellphones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see the convenience of it, and the technology is pretty amazing. Our 21st century phones are far more advanced than 23rd century Star Trek communicators.

    What I don't like is how everyone expects you to be constantly available. My phone is always making one beeping noise or another, and people get offended if you don't respond quickly. I never used to take my old phone with me when I went out to exercise, so I don't see any reason why I should with the new phone. With old phones, no one thought twice when we didn't answer it. With new phones, they're supposed to be in our hands at all times, apparently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct that the baggage that comes with the smartphone world (always being in constant contact with everyone) can be very annoying. But, I myself, got used to it after a few months. Now, I have no qualms at all with taking hours or days to respond to a message/text/etc.

      This may annoy some people at first, but eventually, people get conditioned to expecting a possible lengthy response time from you. Of course employers and significant others will never get used to that - but for most everyone else - they are trainable.

      Delete
    2. My problem is that I was brought up to answer the phone when it rang. It was rude not to. But back then, people called you at home. If you didn't answer, they simply assumed you were not home. Being away from the phone is no longer an option. Since everyone who knows me knows that I think it's rude to not answer the phone, if I don't pick up, they think I'm lying dead in a ditch somewhere.

      It might take a while for people to realize that thing is not going with me everywhere I go.

      Delete
  3. How can you write this blog for years if you just got a smartphone?

    ReplyDelete

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.