Wednesday, February 17, 2016

The Fault in Our Stars

After 13 shows, my triumphant performance as Clara Eynsford-Hill is no more.

It is not that I was fired. The production was shut down. I have heard a few different reasons why, but I think the main culprit is lack of interest. Hong Kong might not be ready for turn of the century British gentility. Or maybe they are sick and tired of British people telling them how to behave. Or maybe people were expecting the musical.

Someone pointed out that 13 is an unlucky number. But not in China. It is not a particularly lucky number, but 4 is the unluckiest number in China because it sounds like the word “death”, and 8 is the luckiest because it sounds like “wealth”. Nothing really sounds like 13, so no one cares about 13 around here.

Whatever the reason, I can stop wearing Edwardian costumes now. That is never bad news.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.