Monday, April 10, 2017

Hailey's Novel Diary – 4/10/17

How important are grocery stores in this story? Practically irrelevant. But I know pretty much nothing about grocery stores in Southern California. I have spent more time in Santa Monica than any other part of Los Angeles, but I can't tell you much about the grocery stores. I vaguely remember a Whole Foods, and there was a Vons near the hotel. It was simply never important to me while I was there.

Most of the grocery stores in Los Angeles seem to be large chains that are mostly located in the western United States, and smaller independent bodegas. There is definitely no Byerly's, Kowalski's or Seward Co-op.

From what I can tell, Ralphs seems to be the king of the San Fernando Valley. Vons is what they call Safeway in California. Gelson's is the Dean & DeLuca of Los Angeles.

The amount of time I have spent looking into this is ridiculous, especially when you consider that it does not affect the story at all. I could have just had them go to the grocery store, but then I realized that I did not know anything about what that is like in Los Angeles. Hence the research.




No comments:

Post a Comment

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.