Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Hailey's Novel Diary – 4/25/17

I spent a good chunk of the day reading about Charlie Chaplin and Edna Purviance. Unlike Mary and Molly Bell, there is a ton of information about Edna Purviance out there. But this book is not about her either, and I was well aware of her existence long before I started, so I think I'm satisfied with what I have.

Also completely unrelated to this story, when I was much younger and I thought I might become a famous movie star one day, I thought about thanking Edna Purviance in my first Oscar acceptance speech. Now that I'm a little older and doing absolutely nothing to become a famous movie star, I still think it would be cool if some modern star named her as an influence. Her contribution to acting in film, especially comedy, does not deserve to be as forgotten as it has.

When you are acting next to Charlie Chaplin, you are never going to be the star of the scene. He was the biggest star in the world for a reason. He could even take the focus away from children and animals. But Edna was incredible. Had she gained famed with anyone else, she might be remembered today.



Edna Purviance


Shoulder Arms
Directed by Charles Chaplin
© 1918 Charles Chaplin


The Bond
Directed by Charles Chaplin
© 1918 Charles Chaplin

No comments:

Post a Comment

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.