Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Hailey's Novel Diary – 4/4/17

I actually have a title, but I'm not going to mention it now. The title could change, get rejected or someone might point out that it was already used in some huge bestseller that became a huge Oscar winning blockbuster movie that I have never heard of, somehow. I could also tell Blogland the title and then someone else uses it before I'm finished, and theirs is a hit while mine sells five copies. In the end, the world assumes I stole the title from them.

That brings up another question I have gotten a lot. “How do you think of a title?” There is no rhyme or reason, at least for me. Harmony On Spring Hill came before I wrote a single word. It was always meant to have multiple meanings, which should make sense to anyone who has read the book, but the main character's name only became Harmony at the very last minute. That was the last edit. History, should it remember anything, will assume that the book was always named after the character, but I actually resisted using that name for that very reason.

Shooting For Paris is an I-can't-think-of-anything-better title. I still don't like it. That one was written, rewritten, edited, torn apart and put back together before I realized that I was never going to find anything better. The title works in the context of the story, but there were a few terrorist attacks in France at the time and I did not want anyone to connect that with this. Shooting For Paris has absolutely nothing to do with anything terrorist related.


No comments:

Post a Comment

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.