Sunday, May 28, 2017

Dragon Boat Festival

Tuesday is 端午節, the Dragon Boat Festival. I will not see it because I will be in Tel Aviv.

Tuesday is also Shavuot, one of the main pilgrimage festivals in Israel. I don't know the first thing about it, but it is an important holiday, and I was already scheduled to go to Tel Aviv on Wednesday, so I figured I might as well go a little early and see what all the fuss is about.

One thing I know about Shavuot is that it is supposed to be better in Jerusalem than Tel Aviv. That is easy enough to believe. Tel Aviv is a better party town, but if you are doing a religious festival, Jerusalem is the place. Getting from one city to the other is easy, so I don't anticipate any scheduling conflicts.

The Dragon Boat Festival is pretty important in China, but I have seen that several times. Coincidentally, it is also a holiday I have missed a few times because I was out of the country. That is probably because it is always at the beginning of summer. I took a cruise a few years ago and we happened to dock in Hong Kong during the Dragon Boat Festival. That was pretty interesting for me because I was on a cruise ship in my own city, and the views of the dragon boat races from the top deck were incredible.


Not the view from the ship, but this is what the races look like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.