Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Hailey's Novel Diary – 5/23/17

I wrote about Baltimore today. At least I have been there. I find it much easier when I can picture the character's surroundings.

If I'm writing about, let's say, two people having a conversation while they take a walk through Victoria Park in Hong Kong, I will picture the exact path where they walk, even if it's never mentioned in the story and makes absolutely no difference. It is better for me if I can see them near the model boat pool or wherever. If I can't picture it in my head, I will look at photographs I have taken over the years. Even if the photograph does not show the entire area, it will remind me of everything nearby. Photographs you take yourself are a million times better for recall than online photographs.

I don't know what science fiction writers do when they are writing about alien planets. I would probably have to draw some rudimentary landscape so at least I know how everything might look.




I would love to credit whoever drew this.
If anyone knows who the artist is, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.