Sunday, June 18, 2017

Hailey's Novel Diary – 6/18/17

I have finished another chapter. It's pretty short and mostly dialogue, so there will be some changes later.

Dialogue is both the easiest and hardest part to write. As an actress, I'm supposed to know how to read a character and say things the way they would say it. I have played characters who suffered from crippling insecurity, depression, insanity, alcoholism and a wide range of problems I know nothing about. If you are going to act, you have to play characters that are nothing like yourself.

Reading dialogue in another voice is easy. If I know who the character is, I can imagine how they would say it. The trick is deciding what they should say. Acting does not prepare you for that. You can't improvise Shakespeare or Tennessee Williams. Writing dialogue is nothing like reading it.

I have been told that I write good dialogue. I'm not trying to toot my own horn here, but it's worth noting that I usually think the dialogue is the worst part of any book I have ever written. People sometimes tell me it's the best part. The main compliment I usually get is that the dialogue fits the character, especially foreign accents. And that's exactly where I think I have failed the most.

The good news is that I will keep trying to do a better job. The bad news is that there are no foreign characters in this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.