Monday, June 19, 2017

Hailey's Novel Diary – 6/19/17

I have dragged Bernardo Bertolucci into this. In the story, one of the characters auditions for an acting part in a movie. I could have created fictional directors and producers, but I decided to use Bertolucci because of his reputation. He is generally considered a great filmmaker and a royal pain in the butt to work with.

If I created a director character, it would have been a Bertolucci type. Since the real Bertolucci is mostly a recluse, why not use him? I highly doubt he will sue me, for several reasons, and I don't have to worry about personally offending him since he will never know this book exists. I can pretty much guarantee that we will never meet.

Something I only just considered is that Bertolucci is not exactly a spring chicken. His health has been going downhill since he had a series of botched spinal surgeries. He is in a wheelchair now and rarely leaves his houses in Rome and London. If he dies while I'm writing this, I will have to change it. Obviously, his death, whenever it occurs, will have far greater consequences than any rewrites I have to make. I know how insensitive that sounds. But he has lived a pretty full life. Whenever he leaves, I think we can all be comforted by the great films he has given us.

In the meantime, I will use him for my own selfish gain.


The Conformist
© 1970 Paramount Pictures


The Sheltering Sky
© 1990 Warner Brothers

No comments:

Post a Comment

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.