Monday, June 19, 2017

Hailey's Novel Diary – 6/19/17

I've dragged Bernardo Bertolucci into this. In the story, one of the characters auditions for an acting part in a movie. I could have created fictional directors and producers, but I decided to use Bertolucci because of his reputation. He's generally considered a great filmmaker and a royal pain in the butt to work with.

If I created a character, it would have been a Bertolucci type. Since the real Bertolucci is mostly a recluse, why not use him? He won't sue me, for several reasons, and I don't have to worry about personally offending him since it's highly unlikely he'll ever know this book exists, and I can almost guarantee that we'll never meet.

Something I only just considered is that he's not exactly a spring chicken. His health has been going downhill since he had a series of botched spinal surgeries. He's in a wheelchair now and rarely leaves his houses in Rome and London. If he dies while I'm writing this, I'll have to change it. Obviously, his death, whenever it occurs, will have far greater consequences than any rewrites I have to make. I know how insensitive that sounds. But he's lived a pretty full life. Whenever he leaves, I think we can all be comforted by the great films he's given us.



The Conformist
© 1970 Paramount Pictures


The Sheltering Sky
© 1990 Warner Brothers

No comments:

Post a Comment

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.