Monday, October 12, 2015

Dating in Hong Kong

I broke up with my last boyfriend in May. That sounds pretty straightforward. In a way, I suppose it is. We were together in April and apart in May. But it's worth something that we were together for a very long time. It means something to me, at least.

As soon as you're single, people start asking when you're going to get back on the horse. In May, I didn't want to be anywhere near any horses. I didn't even want to walk past the stable. I could picture myself adopting a few cats and trying on wool sweaters. I still don't see anything wrong with that.

But sooner or later, you're bound to jump back in that ocean. The waves might be too high and you have a pretty good idea of just how polluted the water is, but just like after eating a bad batch of Thai food, you're going to go back for more sooner or later. No matter how sick it made you the last time.

My problem is that I don't know how to date. I met my last boyfriend in high school. It's a lot easier in high school. We tell ourselves it's the hardest thing in the world and that life is so difficult, but all of that drama is self-imposed. High school is easy. You see your friends every day. You're surrounded by a relatively small group of people, usually people you've known for years. Finding someone to date is as easy as showing up.

The adult world works a little differently. The only group of people I see on a regular basis are at work, and I'm not about to date a coworker. A lower than average percentage of the men where I work are heterosexual. I wouldn't want to date at work even if they were all interested and available. I like keeping my private life out of the workplace. Everyone already knows everyone else's business in high school, but there's no reason that has to be true at work.

3 comments:

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.