Tuesday, May 3, 2016

It's Everywhere You Want to Be

I finally got my work visa for Jerusalem. It was a little complicated, but the production company did most of the hard parts. I have some experience with work visas, so I can safely say that Israel is neither the hardest nor easiest.

I had a work visa for France last year. That was much easier. All I had to do was sign a piece of paper and give them a passport picture. My employer did everything else.

For Israel, I had to give them two pictures and sign more than a few pieces of paper, one of which was a sworn declaration that I would not attempt to overthrow the government or convert anyone's religion. I also agreed not to commit any crimes in the country. That struck me as weird. I understand the part about proselytizing. Some countries are tired of Christians coming in and telling everybody how to think. But asking criminals if they are going to commit crimes is kind of stupid. How many of them say yes?

I had to get a medical exam, but that was pretty easy. The Israeli consulate has a list of hospitals they work with, and it was just a basic physical. The government of Israel now knows what I weigh and that I have mildly low blood pressure. I can live with that.

The most annoying part about getting the visa was having my fingerprints taken. I did not like that at all. Where I come from, you do that to criminals. I have yet to commit a single crime in the state of Israel. My own government does not even have my fingerprints. Now if I want to become an international jewel thief, I have to make sure I avoid Israel. This is the kind of efficient security that ruins it for everyone.

I live in Hong Kong on a work visa. That one is the most complicated. China is famous for its bureaucracy, and getting visas is no exception. Ironically, getting a visitor visa for the Mainland is pretty easy. At least it is if you already have a work visa for Hong Kong.

I'm going to Jerusalem next week. Now that I have the visa, hotel and plane ticket, all I have to do is sit back and wait. And maybe study the script from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No hate, please. There's enough of that in the world already.